Sunday, June 14, 2009

Weddings and all the crap it brings with it...

So, there was a wedding this weekend.
Both families from my city; both families that we know.
We were the mediating family.
(Does that even make sense?)
The messengers.
The ones who, basically, had to do everything.

In South Asian culture, there's a mendhi night.
Benglish tradition is that you do fruit carvings or food decorations for display.
My mother and I spent all Friday night and all Saturday day making birds, peacocks and trees to display.
I also had to fart off to the Mendhi venue and help make it look pretty.
:\
A very difficult thing to do, seeing as the centre is the local Bengali community centre, and is used for kids to shit everywhere!

I am glad, though, that I spent so much time and effort.
My dishes really did stand out.
...and I had people coming up to me all night to talk about the peacock.
Being the vain idiot that I am, I loved it, and soaked it in.
I also spotted a few ladies eye me up.
I should've hated it and shrinked back into my seat, but I did the opposite.
I played up to it.
I helped with giving out the food, I played with the kids, I chatted to the ladies.
Hell, I should be damn ugly if the thought didn't pass atleast one person's head.

Then I saw The Dog and The Baby.
What were Gujjus doing at a Bengali Mendhi?

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned The Dog before, but at Kenan's 20th, we basically danced together... really close...
Let's just say, I did give the dog a bone.
... and a kiss on the cheek. I still don't know why I gave in.
But yes, after that night, he thought I really fancied him - when really, I was just dancing and having fun.
So, he avoided me on another night out, and told Kenan that "he's not like that" and he doesn't get with girls so easily.

So, I guess, looking the other way wasn't such a bad thing to do on Saturday night.
I just really didn't want him to see me.
He might've thought I was drooling over him!

He was only there for a few moments, though.

There were these two Welsh girls, who looked really nice.
...in other words, not so typically Bengali Fresh.
They were so helpful, and so lovely to chat to.
...and one of them had back combed hair! I don't know why she gets extra Kudos for that, but she does!
We didn't get much chance to talk, though.

Everyone fucked off to the bride's house, and a few of us were left to clean up.
My Goodness, I felt like I was in Bangladesh.
There was rice everywhere!
Took us about an hour and half just to hoover the place.

So, I'm glad I didn' t have to hoover, I had an extra hour's sleep before pampering myself and getting ready.
For some reason, in my head, I kept thinking about talking to The Dog.
So, I dolled up.

Father put me on the reception so I could take in the gifts.
There were only two.
Well, we all knew that this was a budget wedding, so no one even gave two shits.
Guys kept lingering around the area though.
No, not all the guys; that would suggest that I'm amazingly hot.
No, just the married and desperately perverted guys.
... married with little children, may I add.
I did notice, though, that there are quite nice looking Bengali boys in my area.
Whether they're decent people is a whole other matter, though.

After about 45 minutes, I gave up and just went back to my table.
The food was alright, much better than I expected actually.
(Budget wedding, remember?)
One of the Welsh girls came up to me (BackCombed Girl) and my friend, Hana, and started chatting.
She was so lovely!
I found out that she lives a few roads away from the cousin who I used to spend my Summers with.
She was really inquisitive; kept asking us about how old we are, what we're doing, what we study etc etc
We didn't think nothing of it, and asked her stuff back!

...then I saw The Dog.
Being the tart that I naturally am, when I caught him looking at me, I flicked my hair and then smiled at him.
He smiled back.
God knows why I'm such a slag, but I liked it.

I spent the rest of the day slagging people off, and bitching about everyone and anyone that I saw.
It's good to be a bitch sometimes.
...and there were random and odd people there.

After what felt like an eternity, the bride and groom finally left.
So we followed them out, naturally.
The Dog came up behind me.
I turned around because the wind was blowing my hair around, and immediately he said, hi.
It felt like he was waiting for me to turn around.
It was strange.
Moreso, because Hana's mum was next to me.
I would've chatted, it's not like social settings have ever stopped me from talking to/hugging male friends, but it felt very awkward, so I commented on the strong winds and excused myself and went in.

RAI Affa grabbed me and asked about the girl who I sat next to.
Hana.
So I said family friend.
She told me about her match making plan.
...The Welsh Girls' brother was eligible and looking. Hana had recently just come round to the idea of marriage, so I carried on listening.
Well, not really, I was pretending to listen,
...until I heard that they initially were asking about me.
Wow.
A proposal.
...and not through my mother.
It's not the first proposal I've ever had...
...but most of the time the proposals are misunderstandings or from desperate people.
The guy saw me and thought I was nice, apparently, the guy's sisters like me and the mother was eyeballing me up from the night before.
It then made sense why BackCombed Girl asked so many questions.

But, I don't believe in marriage, and I can't see myself with anyone Bengali, so I'm glad they asked about Hana.
Yes, I'm still caught up on Quasimodo.

2 comments:

  1. lol that was an entertaining piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm... thank you.
    Very much a Year 8 English Journal Homework style... but, I can work on it.
    I hope.

    ReplyDelete